Plastics were first invented in 1860, but have only been widely used in the last 30 years. They are light, durable, mouldable, hygienic and economic, making them suitable for a wide variety of applications including food and product packaging, car manufacturing, agriculture and housing products.
With plastic bags the most widely used form of plastics, it is estimated world wide that 1 trillion bags are used and discarded every year.
Australians use 3.92 billion plastic bags a year, that’s over 10 million new bags being used every day.
Unless they are collected, they remain in the environment and accumulate at a staggering rate.
If 50 million plastic bags were made into a single plastic sheet, it would be big enough to cover the Melbourne CBD.
Plastics are identified by the types of resin used and are labelled 1 through to 7.
- PET (Polyethylene terephthalate) – soft drink and fruit juice bottles
- HDPE (High-density polyethylene) – milk bottles or shampoo containers
- PVC (Polyvinyl chloride or plasticised polyvinyl chloride) – cordial, juice or squeeze bottles
- LDPE (Low density polyethylene) – garbage bags and bins
- PP (Polypropylene) – ice cream containers, take-away food containers and lunch boxes
- PS (Polystyrene) – yoghurt containers, plastic cutlery, foam hot drink cups
- Other – all other plastics, including acrylic and nylon
Can We Recycle Plastic?
The good news is, yes we can recycle plastic.
Through council recycling schemes, we’re able to collect and recycle plastics labelled 1 (PET) ,2 (HDPE) and 3 (PVC or V). To prepare these plastics for recycling, rinse residue from bottles and containers (using dishwashing water), remove labels and lids and squash bottles.
For all other plastic types, call Cheapest Load of Rubbish on 9550 1181. We recycle all items where possible.
You can help us by separating your waste into like piles. That way we can avoid adding to landfill because all rubbish is then taken to the appropriate transfer station or recycling plant.
How Can You Help The Environment?
To reduce the amount of plastic being used in our society, we first need to change our every day habits.
- Take your own bags to collect your shopping
- Use containers to store food instead of covering with plastic wrap
- Stop buying bottled water, use a refillable bottle instead
- Choose paper or cardboard wrapping over plastic wrapping
- Take your own travel mug with you for tea and coffee on the run
- Use biodegradable facial washes and scrubs
- Reuse ice cream and yogurt containers for kids art and craft sessions
- Buy in bulk – Larger containers means less waste
By following these steps, not only will you help slow landfill levels, but you will also be stopping environmental contamination.
Cheapest Load of Rubbish Accepts All Plastics
If using plastic can’t be avoided, never fear, Cheapest Load of Rubbish accepts all plastics.
- Plastic Bags and Wrappers
- Bottles and Containers
- PVC Pipes
- Composite Lumbar
To find out more about our rubbish removal service and how you can safely remove plastic from your home, office or building site, call 9550 1181 today. Our friendly team are only too happy discuss your needs.