Recycling has become an essential part of Australia’s waste removal process. It allows individuals to reduce their carbon footprint and contribute to reducing energy consumption, pollution, and landfill waste.

Recycling is simply the process whereby used materials are transformed into new materials or products. However, donating the items to others is also a form of recycling. 

Why We Should Recycle 

The more we reuse and repurpose, the less ends up in our landfills contributing to greenhouse gases. You use aluminium, paper, and glass daily, and when you recycle these they go back into a new cycle of use. This prevents additional resources from being used, thus conserving resources and reducing the need for raw materials. Collecting minerals and timber takes time, money, and energy and impacts the environment. The more we recycle as a nation, the less need we have for new raw materials. 

When you recycle, it prevents usable materials from ending up in landfills. Landfills and incinerators are major pollutants so, we need to keep those for true rubbish only. 

Why We Recycle 

At Cheapest Load of Rubbish, we are passionate about rubbish removal in Sydney. We offer a valuable service to the community we live in. We will remove just about anything, but we don’t dump everything at the landfill. Our team takes great steps to sort your rubbish and waste to recycle as much as possible. With over three decades of experience in the business, we are well-versed in all the items that can go to recycling centres versus landfills. We recycle up to 80% of what we collect, with the remaining 20% taken to approved transfer stations. 

Label Removal Before Recycling 

Before we address label removal, it’s worth highlighting how labels can help you in the recycling process. Ignore the numbered chasing triangle symbol – that is to indicate the type of plastic that was used to create the bottle. It isn’t related to whether it’s recyclable or not. You simply need to follow the Australasian Recycling Labels

The good news is you don’t need to remove labels or lids before you recycle. The process recycled items go through removes your labels and lids. If there’s a loose top, simply place it inside the container and squeeze it closed as best you can. This is to prevent small items from going missing in the process of recycling. That’s a big time-saver compared to days gone by when this was a necessary step. 

However, you do need to ensure all liquid and food debris is removed from your containers. There is no need to rinse them; ensure they are completely empty (and dry). If you do choose to rinse them, you can, as it will keep your recycling bin odour-free and clean. 

Your recycling should be loose in your bin; there is no need to place anything in a plastic bag. The sorting facility’s machinery can’t process plastic bags and this can cause jams. 

Rubbish Sorting For Recycling 

Set up a recycling system in your home to make it simple until you transport it to the correct item. You can buy colour-coded bins that correlate with your council-issued bin. This means you can rope everyone in the family into the process. 

So, what can go in the yellow lidded bin and what should go into your general waste bin? 

In The Yellow Lidded Bin 

  • Cans (aluminium, steel, aerosol, and tin)
  • Scrunched down aluminium foil
  • Glass jars, bottles, and containers
  • Empty plastic cleaning product containers
  • Plastic food containers/trays
  • Empty plastic drink bottles
  • Empty personal hygiene bottles
  • Letters, envelopes, magazines, newspapers, and advertising materials
  • Cardboard – these include egg cartons, and oily food boxes as long as you remove the food scraps. Flatten these as best as you can 

In The General Waste 

  • Soft plastics and plastic bags
  • Polystyrene
  • Paper towels, tissue paper, and napkins
  • Light globes
  • Nappies
  • Mixed materials, such as plastic-coated cardboard, etc. 

To Recycle 

Just because it doesn’t belong in the yellow lidded bin doesn’t mean it isn’t recyclable

  • Bioplastics
  • Glass (mirrors and windows)
  • Batteries
  • Crockery
  • Sharps
  • Mobile phones 

If you’re not sure – there are cheeky tests you can try. If you can scrunch your plastic, it belongs in general waste (sweet wrappers, plastic bags). The yellow lidded bin is for hard plastics. When cardboard is plastic lined, it’s impossible to tear. So, try a little tear test to be sure it’s recyclable. 

Alternatively, you can enlist the services of a professional team who will remove all of your waste and ensure the recyclable items end up in the right place. 

Call Cheapest Load of Rubbish 

If you have waste to remove or recyclables, reach out to Cheapest Load of Rubbish for a free quote today. If you have a pressing Sydney rubbish removal uplift, one of our team may be with you as soon as today!